Wollaston Parish Council

Wollaston Heritage plaques

Nags Head 19291. Nags Head. First referred to in1787 as Mr Lucy’s Hostelry, this pub was known as The Nags Head until 2003. In the 1970s and 80s entertainers such as U2, Free, Edwin Starr, Rod Stewart and the Faces, John Peel and TheWho played here on their way to international stardom. (The Wollaston Inn 87 London Road)


The Square, Wollaston2. The Cradle. The area opposite here was the village pound for stray cattle from mid 17th century (when it was moved from opposite the church) to the Wollaston Inclosures of 1789. (6 Hinwick Road)  



The Fountain, Wollaston3. The Fountain. Site of Wollaston’s first Coffee House and Public Reading Room 1893-1930. (Matthew Nicholas Estate Agent Council Street)

 

Wollaston's first shoe factory4. Wollaston's First Shoe Factory. Built in 1883 by Mr Pratt Walker. Building subsequently used by Scott Bader 1940-1966 and Trylon 1966-2004. Converted into flats 2005.

 

 Feast Field1964, Wollaston5. Feast Field. In a field behind this house was held the annual Village Fair from 19th Century to 1969. (44 Hinwick Rd)


 

The Cinema 6. Wollaston's Cinema. A cinema was established in an old army hut on this site in 1919. A gas fired generator provided electricity for the projector. It burnt down in 1925 (3 Queen’s Road)

 

NPS Shoes Ltd, Wollaston, Northamptonshire7. Northamptonshire Productive Society (Shoes) Ltd. The UK’s oldest surviving Workers Co-operative. Established in 1881 by Wollaston shoemakers in a Dove House in Thrift Street and nicknamed The Duffers. (NPS Factory South Street)

 Castle Mound, Wollaton, Northamptonshire8. Castle Mound. Motte Castle constructed in the reign of King Stephen 1135-1154 and dismantled on the accession of King Henry II in 1154. Later Wollaston’s first windmill stood here. Now known as Beacon Hill. (2 South Street)

Jubilee Park 9. Jubilee Park. Through the generosity of Scott Bader, Northamptonshire County Council, Wellingborough District Council and others, this park was constructed in the Golden Jubilee Year of HM Queen Elizabeth II. (On the wall of the Park to the right of the entrance)

Miss Keep's School, Wollaston, Northamptonshire10. Miss Keep's School. This building was Wollaston’s first School 1840-1873.(Bell End)

 


The Priory, Wollaston, Northamptonshire11. The Priory. Medieval rectory belonging to Delapre Abbey, Northampton c1140-c1537. (On the Hickmire side of the building)

 

 
Lovell's Workshop, Wollaston, Northamptonshire12. Lovell's Workshop. Site of wheel-wright and carpenters shop 1859-1976.( Hickmire)

 



St Bartholomew's Farm, Wollaston, Northamptonshire13. St Bartholomews Farm. This former farm, of 158 acres, belonged to The Royal Hospital of St Bartholomew’s London 1199-1919. The house and barns were rebuilt in 1752 by Ambrose Dickins Lord of Wollaston Manor and a Governor and tenant of the Hospital. The farm was sold to raise money for the repair of WW1 bomb damage to the Hospital. (1 Duck End)

 
Neale Close14. Neale Close. Named after Edmond, Thomas and Sir Charles Neale, Squires of Wollaston Manor 1634-1734. Founders and benefactors of the Wollaston Bread Charity for the poor of the village 1671 to 1995. ( 6 Neale Close) 



 Manchester Road 15. Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Manchester Road, Unity Close Roses Close and Fellows Close are so named because the Wollaston branch of the Prince of Wales Lodge, the Independent Order of Oddfellows Manchester Unity Friendly Society had their Manchester Allotments here from 1854 – 1969.
(2 Manchester Road)

 R Griggs and Co 16. R Griggs and Co Ltd. Factory founded in1901. Makers of the world famous Dr Martens footwear since 1960. (Over Cobbs Lane entrance to factory)

Cobbe's Lane, Wollaston, Northamptonshire17. Cobbe's Lane. Named after Edmund Cobbe Vicar of Wollaston for 35 years. Installed in 1663 against the wishes of Puritanical Parishioners. Presumed responsible for making this road the main route into the Village from the West. (At the top end of Cobbe’s Lane on the wall of Griggs factoryWollaston Museum)

 18. Wollaston Museum. This former congregational chapel and surrounding area were donated by Paul Gilby and John Shelton in 1974. The plaque commemorates the 25th anniversary of its opening as a museum on 17th November 1979. (102 High Street)

Village Workhouse, Wollaston, Northamptonshire19. Village Workhouse. This house was the Village Workhouse 18th Century-1835. (84 High St)

 

 
 Farmhouse 20. Farmhouse. 17th Century former farmhouse with stables and barns. Used as a schoolroom in 1871 and the Registrars Office from 1881-1898. (77 High Street))

The Smithy, Wollaston, Northamptonshire21. The Smithy. Site of Village Smithy until 1955. (Doc Shop)


Market Place or The Pibble 22. Market Place / The Pibble. Traditional site of the Village Market granted by a charter of King Henry III in1260. Later known as The Pibble due to two large stones used to protect the buildings. (14 St Michael’s Lane)

 Telephone Exchange 23. Telephone Exchange. Wollaston’s first manual telephone exchange was installed here in 1918. At night and at weekends it was operated jointly by the families living in Nos 40 & 42. It was superseded by an automatic exchange in 1936. (42 High Street)

 Cromwell House 24. Cromwell House. Built in 1584 and enlarged in 1657 by Thomas Harriot on the site of an earlier Saxon dwelling. A fine example of a 17th Century Yeoman’s house and Home Close that retains its original ground plan. (50 London Road)

The Marquis of Granby, Wollaston, Northamptonshire25. The Marquis of Granby. An 18th century coaching inn. The daily stagecoach from Wellingborough to London called here from 1776. It ceased in 1845 when the railway came to Wellingborough. Partridge Hill is named after a 19th century landlord. (2 London Road)