Get the flu jab
Influenza is a virus causing a lung or respiratory infection. While for most people it is only an unpleasant illness that should pass in about a week, it can cause serious complications, particularly in young children and older adults.
Getting a flu vaccination is the most effective way to stop you catching flu and passing it on to others.
Who can get a free flu jab?
You can get the flu jab for free if you are:
- Pregnant – at any stage of pregnancy
- Aged 2-3 years - the vaccination is delivered via a nasal spray rather than an injection
- Aged 65 years +
- Aged 6 months + and have:
- Chronic respiratory disease
- Chronic heart disease
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic liver disease
- Chronic neurological disease
Speak to your GP or Pharmacy to arrange to get vaccinated.
For more information about the vaccine, who should get it and why, visit NHS Choices website.
Primary school admissions
It’s time for parents to apply for their child’s primary school place.
The start of the new school year sees many parents across the county on the search for the right primary school for their child.
This year, Northamptonshire County Council is running a campaign targeting all parents with children who turn four years old between 1st September 2013 and 31st August 2014, to help raise awareness to parents of the right time to apply for their child’s school place and how to do this.
Applications open on Monday 9th September 2013 and will close on 15th January 2014.
There are many myths surrounding applying for a child’s primary school place which the county council aims to stamp out as part of this campaign. The county council is contacting parents directly to tell them it’s time to apply for their child’s primary school place which will reinforce the fact that they must do this regardless of whether:
- They have put their child’s name down at their preferred school
- The child lives in the area near the school
- They have an older brother or sister already at the preferred school
Parents are encouraged to apply for their child’s school place online rather than by paper form and they can do this at www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/admissions
The school admissions team will be out on the road in libraries across the county hosting roadshows to help parents through the application process. Parents will be able to get help and advice at these events which are taking place on:
- 15th October – 10am to 1pm at Central Library, Northampton
- 22nd October –10am to 1pm at Kettering Library
- 11th November – 2pm to 5pm at Corby Library
- 26th November – 1pm to 3pm at Central Library, Northampton
Customer Service Centre - 0300 126 1000